The Graduate Student Leadership Award celebrates graduate students who have engaged in outstanding service that has positively impacted the campus or wider Urbana-Champaign community. How that leadership has been demonstrated can vary widely. See winners from 2016 and winners from 2015 last year's winners for examples. A committee including faculty, staff and students will review the submissions, and the winner will be announced during Graduate Student Appreciation Week.
The application form is open from January 27, 2017, to February 28, 2017.
The winner will be recognized at a reception on April 5, 2017.
The winner will receive a $500 award. Awards to graduate students will be dispersed as professional development travel funds through the student’s university account. Awards may be subject to tax withholding.
As part of the submission form, you will be asked to attach the following:
- CV or resume
- Narrative response (maximum of two double-spaced pages; must be written by the nominee) to the prompt:
- Describe a specific contribution you have made to either the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign’s campus or the wider community, and showcase how your efforts provided a positive impact. Then explain how this contribution exemplifies leadership qualities you have gained and/or developed through your experience as a graduate student.
- Two letters of reference (these may be submitted in the application form or emailed separately; see the application form for more information)
- One letter should speak to the nominee’s general leadership abilities, ideally coming from someone who can best evaluate their specific leadership qualities.
- The second letter should articulate the specific impact of the nominee’s efforts within the campus or community. This letter will ideally come from a fellow team member or someone who can give a first-hand account of the nominee’s leadership.
To be eligible to participate, entrants must be a graduate student in good academic standing at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and be registered during the Spring 2017 term.
You may nominate yourself or someone else for this award. Please collect the required information and documents (the nominee must write the narrative portion) and submit using the application form.
Please contact the Graduate College at email@example.com.