Congratulations to our winners!
- 1st Place: Laura Adamovicz, "Turtles in Trouble: Applications of Health Assessment for Conservation" (Comparative Biosciences)
- 2nd Place: Elizabeth Davis, "Your Brain is Talking Directly to Your Stem Cells" (Neuroscience)
- 3rd Place: Payel Kundu, "Harnessing Plant Compounds to Promote Healthy Aging" (Neuroscience)
- People's Choice: Robby Goldman, "Unearthing the Secrets of Volcanic Eruptions" (Geology)
November 8, 2017
Stage 5 at the Krannert Center for the Performing Arts
Competition was followed by a reception
- Laura Adamovicz, Comparative Biosciences
- Elizabeth Davis, Neuroscience
- Adrienne Ertel, Astronomy
- Robby Goldman, Geology
- Kartik Hegde, Computer Science
- Huancui Hu, Atmospheric Sciences
- Derek Jung, Mathematics
- Payel Kundu, Neuroscience
- Elizabeth Maxwell, Veterinary Science
- Cassandra Nikolaus, Human Nutrition
- Sree Kalyan Patiballa, Systems & Entrepreneurial Engineering
- Jennifer Peruski, Art History
- Sarvagya Sharma, Physics
- Jeffrey Magee is Director of the School of Music and Professor of Music and Theatre at the University of Illinois. His research and teaching focuses on music in the United States, with an emphasis on jazz, musical theater, and the relationship between identity and music. He is author of The Uncrowned King of Swing: Fletcher Henderson and Big Band Jazz. He has served as executive editor of the National Endowment for the Humanities-funded score series Music of the United States of America.
- Melanie Loots is Executive Associate Vice Chancellor for Research at the University of Illinois. She is responsible for policy development and strategic and tactical planning. Before joining the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research, Loots received a PhD in Chemistry, worked in the pharmaceutical industry, and directed the Applications Division of the National Center for Supercomputing Applications. She has served on National Science Foundation review panels, the NSF’s Advisory Committee for the Office of International Science and Engineering, the Great Lakes Consortium for Petascale Computing Board of Directors, and many other panels and committees.
- Lisa Bralts is Director of Content and Strategic Communications at Illinois Public Media. In that role, she oversees Illinois Public Media’s television and video production unit, their FM classical music service, and coordinates marketing and communications activity. She also co-produces and writes short documentaries for Illinois Public Media, including “Coarse Work,” about a farm-to-fork dinner, and “Ebertfest 2016: Center of the Universe.” As creator and co-producer of the “Backyard Industry” series of, she helps residents of Central Illinois and beyond understand the intersection of food, gardening, and other DIY projects with neighborhood activities.
First Prize: $300
Second Prize: $200
Third Prize: $150
People’s Choice: $100