Check with your proposed program of study office for its application deadline for fellowships, assistantships, or tuition waivers. You may apply for more than one type of aid by designating the order of preference. If your proposed program requires additional supporting documents and test scores, send them directly to the program of study office. In addition to your proposed program of study office, the Office of Financial Aid is a good resource: Office of Student Financial Aid, 610 East John Street, Champaign, IL 61820, phone: (217) 333-0100.
- Fellowships. Information on fellowships is available from the Fellowship Office at the Graduate College.
- Assistantships. Assistants enrolled in most graduate programs receive a waiver of full tuition and the service fee, provided the appointment is for not less than one-quarter time and not more than two-thirds time, and if the assistant is on appointment for at least three-quarters (91 days) of the term. Details about tuition waivers are available from the Guide to the Tuition Waiver Policy.
Please note that self-supporting and cost recovery programs may not offer these financial aid options. See for a list of these programs. This list may not be complete, it's important to check with your department to find out which financial aid options are available.
Please note: For non-native speakers of English to be considered for a teaching assistantship, the TSE must be taken, and the score submitted to your proposed program of study office (please see the English Proficiency Requirement section for details). If applicants have taken the TOEFL iBT, the spoken section sub-score will be used in place of the TSE, to measure spoken English ability. The minimum iBT spoken section sub-score for international teaching assistants is currently being established, and will be available soon. Results must be submitted directly to your proposed program of study office.
- Tuition and Service Fee Waivers. These awards waive payment of tuition and partial fees. For deadlines and applications, please contact your program of study office. For University-funded fellowships, assistantships, and tuition waivers, there are no restrictions on citizenship, age, sex, ethnic or national origin, marital status, or disability. Certain non-University-funded fellowships and assistantships may have restrictions. Before you apply for such an award, consult the office of your proposed program of study for both the types of financial aid available and the financial aid deadline. Please note: In general, most financial aid decisions are made before April 1.
- International Applicants. Information specific to international applicant funding is available on the “International Student” page of Office of Financial Aid website.
- Loans (for Domestic Applicants only). For information about loans, contact the Office of Student Financial Aid, 610 East John Street, Champaign, IL 61820, phone: (217) 333-0100.