Welcome to the group of Graduate Contacts at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. If you are new to the position, it may seem daunting, but there many resources available for you to use and learn from. The duties of Graduate Contacts are as varied as the departments they serve, so many resources are available, but you might not need them all.
What immediately follow are the steps you need to take to get started if you are a new contact, or if you missed these steps when you began in your position. When you first accept your position, try to see if training from the former graduate contact is available, and if it’s possible, take advantage of it! And always remember that the staff of the Graduate College can always help you. Call the front desk at 333-0035 with your questions, and they will be able to answer them or direct you to someone who can.
- The first thing to do is to let the Graduate College know you are new in your role. The unit does this by updating their Authorized Signatories in the GC Roles and Access Manager.
- Banner is the university’s database, and contains all the student information, HR information and financial records information for the University. If you have any roles in student records, human resources, or business/accounting, you will need access to Banner. Access is requested by your Unit Security Contact to the needed Enterprise Applications. Ideally your Unit Security Contact will be able to set you up with the same access as the previous Graduate Contact.
- In addition to Banner, your Unit Security Contact can also request access to Eddie and View Direct for you. Eddie and View Direct allow you to access standard reports about student and catalog/schedule data.
- If you will be viewing any student records, you are required to complete Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) training. An online tutorial and brief quiz are available at https://registrar.illinois.edu/training-ferpa.
- If graduate admissions are part of your role, you will need to contact the Graduate and Professional Admissions unit, 244-4637 to enroll for training and be given access to the ApplyYourself and Connect systems. More information about Accessing ApplyYourself is available.
- If graduate petitions are part of your role, contact Graduate Student Academic Services, 333-2364. Your unit will also have to approve this responsibility, using the GC Roles & Access Manager.
- If certification of graduate degree requirements is part of your role, you will need to sign up for training and access to the Graduation Certification Process (GCP) with Graduate Student Academic Services, 333-2364. Your unit will also have to approve this responsibility, using the GC Roles & Access Manager.
Help me do my job.
The Resources for Graduate Contacts page and its left menu bar have links to information just for graduate contacts.
The Graduate College Handbook for Students, Faculty and Staff contains all of the Graduate College policies for students and programs. The Handbook has a search, that only searches the Handbook, so that is a good place to start.
Here is a list of Tools for Graduate Contacts, including documents and software.
The Graduate College Administrative Advisory Group (AAG) is a group of departmental contacts whose work focuses primarily on the operational aspects of Graduate College policies and procedures. If you have a concern or question, contact one of the members so the topic can be raised at a meeting. If you are interested in serving, please email the Graduate College and let us know!
Who do I call?
Who to Call about What will help when you don't know who to call.
Contact the Graduate College with questions at firstname.lastname@example.org or 333-0035.
Contact other Graduate Contacts with questions. (coming)
What did you say?
Help with Banner!
Banner screens by title and what information they provide.
How to search for a record in Banner.
Banner terms to explain how Banner defines some common terms.
Banner Aids and Training for Course Schedulers from Facility Management and Scheduling
What Course Level means in Banner and how it can be used.