To ensure that you receive Summer 2017 health coverage and benefits, please make sure you identify the category below that applies to you, read the relevant information, and take action as appropriate.
The categories are:
- Students with Summer Waiver-Generating Assistantships
- Students with Summer Waiver-Generating Fellowships
- Students with No Summer Waiver-Generating Appointment
- Students Registered In Absentia or in a Study Abroad Program
- Newly Admitted Students in Summer
- Individuals Who Graduate May 2017
Note: Student Insurance, McKinley Health Service, and Dental/Vision Insurance each have a particular coverage period, which may vary from the dates of the academic term or from the dates of any summer appointment a student may hold.
Summer 2017 coverage dates are as follows:
- Student Health Insurance: May 13 – August 25
- McKinley Health Center: Spring coverage ends May 27, Summer coverage ends August 26
- Dental/Vision Insurance: June 1 – August 31
1) Students with Summer Waiver-generating Assistantships
Students with summer assistantships are not required by the University to register in the summer, unless the student is newly admitted for summer. All graduate students with a summer waiver-generating assistantship appointment are entitled to health care benefits for the summer coverage dates. A waiver-generating appointment refers to a research, teaching, pre-professional, or graduate assistantship of at least 25% and not more than 67% for at least 41 days of the summer academic term.
- Full payment of the health service (McKinley) fee
- Partial payment of the health insurance fee for students who were covered under the plan during the Spring 2017 term
- Basic dental and vision insurance
Assistants who do not plan to register for Summer 2017
Assistants who have registered or plan to register for Summer 2017
2) Students with Summer Waiver-generating Fellowships
Required action: Register for summer courses.
- Full coverage of the health service (McKinley) fee
- Partial payment ($328) of the health insurance fee.
- Basic dental and vision coverage
3) Students with No Summer Waiver-generating Appointment
Students who were registered during the spring term and were assessed the health service and health insurance fees can receive summer health coverage in one of two ways: purchasing an extension or registering for classes.
Students who do not plan to register for Summer 2017
- To request an extension of student health insurance, you must sign up at https://www.grad.illinois.edu/healthins/. The deadline to request an extension for health insurance for Summer 2017 is June 2, 2017. Students purchasing extensions would be responsible for paying the full cost of the summer insurance extension ($409).
- To request an extension of the health service (McKinley) fee, go to the McKinley Business Office, 1109 S. Lincoln Avenue. More information is available at http://mckinley.illinois.edu/fees/service-fees and http://mckinley.illinois.edu/fees/service-fees/fees-dates-and-deadlines.
Students who plan to register for Summer 2017
4) Students Registered in Absentia or in a Study Abroad Program
5) Newly Admitted Students in Summer
Campus policy requires students to be registered in their term of admission. Therefore, if you were admitted for the summer term, you are required to register for summer. Registration at any level in Summer 2017 will cause assessment of the health insurance fee. Registration in at least three hours in Summer 2017 will cause assessment of the health service (McKinley) fee.
If you have been a student at Illinois prior to beginning your current program and filed an exemption for health insurance before the Fall 2013 Term, the exemption is considered permanent and will still be in effect. If you want student health insurance, you will need to file for reinstatement in person at the Student Insurance Office, located in Room 29, McKinley Health Center, 1109 South Lincoln Avenue, Urbana.
Newly admitted students with a waiver-generating assistantship should refer to Section 1. Students with Summer Waiver-Generating Assistantships.
Newly admitted students with a waiver-generating fellowship should refer to Section 2. Students with Summer Waiver-Generating Fellowships.
6) Individuals Who Graduate May 2017
Required action: Purchase continuation of insurance and/or extension of McKinley access.