2016 Nomination Form is now open.
About the Award
Graduate Contacts in disciplinary units play an integral role in the academic careers of our graduate students. With their work, they provide an invaluable service to the university and its community of students, faculty, and staff. The Graduate College seeks to recognize those staff members whose service has enhanced the experiences of graduate students and/or has had a positive impact on the operations of the graduate program or department. In order to be selected, the individual’s service must have consistently exceeded expectations.
- The Graduate College realizes that different units have organized the work flow regarding the administration of the graduate program in different ways. For instance, in some units, one individual may be responsible for the graduate program whereas in other units the responsibilities may be spread among various individuals (e.g., one person is responsible for admission, whereas another serves as the liaison to the Graduate College for enrolled students). Given these circumstances, any individual who is appointed as graduate contact or as admissions contact on the authorized signature form is eligible for the award.
- The nominee can either be a civil service staff or an academic professional.
- Nominees must currently serve in a function related to the administration of the graduate program and must have done so for a minimum of 3 full academic years.
As staff members’ responsibilities regarding graduate program administration vary greatly from department to department, nominators are asked to explain how the nominee has exceeded expectations in their assigned duties. Examples of attributes that nominators may want to consider include but are not limited to the following: accessibility, dedication, problem-solving skills, dependability, communication skills, motivation/attitude, knowledge/skills, innovation, service on Graduate College Committees, participation at Graduate College events and training, or participation in initiatives.
- A $500 Visa gift card for personal use and a plaque commemorating the award.
Three Graduate College staff members involved in working with Graduate Contacts will evaluate the nominations and make a recommendation to the Dean. The Dean makes the final selection.
Friday, September 16, 2016, 11:59 p.m. (CT)
Nomination Materials and Submission:
Nominations are made using the online nomination form, which requires uploading the following supporting materials:
- A nomination letter (up to two pages in length): Nominations may be submitted by graduate students, faculty members, unit heads, school directors/deans, disciplinary college deans, or unit staff members relevant to graduate program administration. Graduate College staff can neither nominate nor provide letters of support.
- Two letters of support (no more than 1 page in length each).
Among the nomination letter and letters of support, there must be one document provided by a current or former graduate student and one letter from the current or past Director of Graduate Studies.
2015 Excellence Award Recipient
|Dean Chodzko-Zajko presents the award to Elizabeth Spears|
Department of Anthropology
“For both graduate students and faculty, Liz stands as the social heart of our department..."
“Staff with Liz’s social and professional talents are a real asset to the University. They are the true ambassador of our institution and its image”.
“Her generosity of spirit and time made her a constant source of support…”
“Liz is considered the academic linchpin that holds our academic community together..”