The Sloan University Center of Exemplary Mentoring (UCEM) at Illinois aims to broaden participation in advanced engineering, physical, and mathematical science careers, thereby strengthening the talent pool in these fields while increasing equitable opportunities in the US. The center supports underrepresented racial/ethnic minority students (URM), defined by Sloan as US citizens who are African American, Latina/Latino, and American Indian/Alaskan Native.
Sloan Scholars and Illinois Sloan Scholars
During the three-year program, fifty scholars - 25 Sloan Scholars and 25 Illinois Sloan Scholars - will be recruited and fully funded with assistantships, tuition, and fellowships.
- Sloan Scholars will receive $40,000 from Sloan ($20,000 at matriculation, $10,000 after qualifying exam completion or similar benchmark, and $10,000 after prelim completion).
- Illinois Sloan Scholars will receive $10,000 from Illinois at matriculation.
Sloan Scholars and Illinois Sloan Scholars are carefully mentored toward successful completion of their PhD’s and job placement. In addition to studying in highly-ranked, world class programs, these students receive a suite of professional development opportunities. Graduates will be well-prepared to become leaders in the workforce and in academia, where they can shape the future of their fields.
Eligible Programs of Study
College of Engineering (11 Programs):
- Aerospace Engineering
- Agricultural & Biological Engineering
- Civil & Environmental Engineering
- Computer Science
- Electrical & Computer Engineering
- Industrial & Enterprise Systems Engineering
- Materials Science & Engineering
- Mechanical Sciences & Engineering
- Nuclear, Plasma, & Radiological Engineering
College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (7 Programs):
- Atmospheric Sciences
- Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering
- Chemical Physics
For More Information
Please email us at email@example.com.
This initiative is made possible by a generous grant from the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation.
How to Become a Sloan UCEM Scholar?
Students who have been offered admission in one of the Sloan-eligible departments need not apply. Departments nominate students for Sloan Scholarships according to the process described at: http://go.grad.illinois.edu/sloan.