Who Qualifies as an International Applicant?
International applicants are citizens or permanent residents of a country to which they intend to return other than the United States. International applicants may be in the United States on an educational, worker or visitor visa, or be residing in their home country.
Please note: International applicants who have filed an application for United States Permanent Residency, but have not yet been granted approval, are considered international applicants, but are not required to provide financial documentation.
When Should International Applicants Apply?
International applicants are urged to submit their application for admission ten months prior to their intended semester of entry.
Interested in Illinois?
Completing the form at the above link will allow our office to provide you with customized communications based on your interests, as well as give you access to Illinois Connect.
Already completed the interest form?
Access Illinois Connect for your personalized Illinois web page!
Illinois Connect will bring you the latest news about Illinois' programs and events, as well as information about the application process and being a graduate student at Illinois.
What Is Required?
The following are requirements specifically for international applicants:
- Submission of a $90.00 application fee (effective with 2011 applications).
- International applicants who are requesting F-1 or J-1 visa eligibility documents are required to submit Proof of Funding Documentation
- Provide evidence of English proficiency
- International applicants must meet minimum requirements based on their country of origin.
- Minimum Requirements
- English Proficiency Requirement
- Proof of Funding Documentation
- Visa Information
- Immunization Requirement
- Application Instructions
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) for International Applicants
- Application Checklist
- Graduate and Professional Admissions
- International Student and Scholar Services
- Department of Homeland Security's Study in the States Website
PDF files require Adobe Reader.